FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Trip from the Southland to the North Bay and Other Happenings
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:41 am
Loose Cannon

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
First Time This Year to the Dirty Side; Twice in the Same Day and Same State

Tour of Duty 26th March 2019 to 5th April 2019
Part II: 29th March to 4th April

I awoke to cloudy skies on Friday 29th March. Once ready I checked out and ordered transportation to the main office in North Kansas City, MO. There were a few raindrops en route to the office but it was dry when I arrived. Very soon after I arrived a thunderstorm hit and the thunder shook the building. I took care of some business and received some clarification about some changes that were due to take effect the first of April. There were some trucks available that were going to New Hampshire. However I looked at the situation including the weather forecast for the next week and I opted for a trip from Independence, Kansas to Orlando, Florida. A rental car was set up and I was picked up and taken to the rental car location. When I arrived at the rental car office it dawned on me I forgot my jacket. So after I was officially in the rental car I headed back to the office and was able to retrieve my jacket before carrying on. I stopped at QT for hydration supplies then stopped for evening rations at Woodside BBQ in Kansas City, KS. Afterward I continued south and encountered some rain at times. I ended up spending the night in Emporia, KS.

Saturday I awoke to rain and it may have snowed some during the night. The rain quit by the time I was ready to go. I took some pictures of Emporia, KS and later en route I took pictures of Fredonia, KS and all those pictures (except a few of Emporia that I uploaded to Facebook) were totally lost when my phone catastrophe happened (more on that next post) later this tour of duty. I arrived in Independence and got the keys for the truck and I loaded my gear into the truck and did my safety inspection. Then I filled up the fuel tank of the rental car at 2.599$ per gallon for unleaded. Then I dropped off the rental car and walked back to the truck.

Trip: Independence, KS to Orlando, FL 1,251 paid miles
Make: 2020 International
Model: Box Truck
Transmission: Automatic
Route: US160 to US59 to US166 to Interstate 44 to Missouri 360 to US60 to US63 to Interstate 555 to Interstate 55 to Interstate 269 to Interstate 22 to Interstate 65 to local roads for construction detour in Birmingham, AL to Interstate 20 to Interstate 75 to Interstate 475 back to Interstate 75 to Florida Turnpike to local highways and roads in the Orlando area
Maximum elevation: unknown but Springfield, MO is listed at 1,300 feet
Highest diesel price USA: 3.059$ per gallon at Pilot Villa Rica, GA
Lowest diesel price USA: 2.699$ per gallon at Signal Mansfield, MO

This was my first model 2020 truck and it was governed to 65mph. In fact there was a sign on the back warning other motorists "This truck does not exceed 65mph." I took on fuel before leaving Independence, KS then took two lane highways until I reached Interstate 44 just inside Missouri. I stopped for fuel and evening rations in Joplin and afterward I looked at the situation and opted to book a room in Carthage. I spent the night in Carthage, MO.

Sunday it was still cool but fair weather and I attended the morning service at Bible Baptist Church in Carthage, MO. The sermon was on Jeremiah 36 and Jeremiah 45. Afterward I had midday rations at Big Ben's BBQ Station in Carthage, MO before resuming my run on Interstate 44. I got off the 44 near Springfield, MO and took Missouri 360 to US60 and took on fuel in Mansfield, MO before continuing to West Plains, MO where I started my run on US63 which became two lane road with curves and grades. I entered Arkansas and the two lane road continued and the curves and grades slowed me down considerably. The road opened up to four lane then became Interstate 555. I spent the night in Jonesboro, AR.

Monday I stopped in West Memphis to take on fuel before crossing the Mississippi River to "The Dirty Side" which is that part of the USA that is East of the Mississippi River. I crossed into Memphis, TN then headed south into the state of Mississippi. The weigh scale was open and I was pulled in for inspection. I got a clean inspection and proceeded. I stopped in New Albany, MS for late afternoon/early evening rations at Arby's. Then I continued east and a few miles before exiting Mississippi there was another weigh scale which was open and I got pulled in for inspection once again. Twice in the same state in the same day! I entered Alabama and made a pit stop before reaching Interstate 65. I made another pit stop in Birmingham off Interstate 65 and booked hotel room. Then I learned that "Malfunction Junction" the interchange between Interstate 65 and Interstate 20/59 was under construction so I had to take a detour which put me on some local streets. I started my run east on Interstate 20 and I spent the night in Oxford, AL.

Tuesday I continued east on Interstate 20 and entered Georgia and the Eastern Time Zone. I stopped in Tallapoosa, GA and had midday rations at Smokin' Pig BBQ. I took on fuel in Villa Rica, GA for the last fuel stop this trip. Since this truck had only 6 wheels and no more I had a choice of staying on the 20 to the 75 or taking the Interstate 285 ring road around Atlanta. My smartphone indicated taking the 285 ring road would add 53 minutes to my trip so I opted to stay on the 20 into the heart of Atlanta and then take the 75 south (which ran concurrently with the 85 for a few miles). I saw there were different exits for the Domestic and International Terminals at ATL. I made a pit stop in Jackson, GA then continued south and in Forsyth, GA the weigh scale was open and once again I was stopped for inspection. I was able to inform the officer of the two previous inspections the previous day and once he learned that he discontinued the inspection and let me go. I continued south on the 75 and I stopped at the Pilot in Tifton, GA and had late evening rations at Steak and Shake. I booked hotel room and continued south on the 75 and ended up spending the night just 5 miles shy of the Florida/Georgia line in Lake Park, GA.

Wednesday I phoned up the receiver for delivery details. I opted not to race the clock. I continued south on the 75 and entered Florida. I made a pit stop at a rest area just south of Gainesville, FL. I made another pit stop in Wildwood, FL before starting my run on the Florida Turnpike. I stopped at Brush Arbor Baptist Church in Orlando, FL where I attended the Wednesday Evening Midweek service. After the service I had evening rations at Sonny's BBQ in Winter Park, FL. I spent the night in Orlando, FL.

Thursday I headed down Orange Blossom Trail several miles then took another road to head to the receiver and I completed delivery. I was talked into taking a short trip from Port Orange, FL to Orlando, FL and I ordered transportation to head to Port Orange, FL.