FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:37 pm
trust77

Originally Posted by jsloan
I would have thought so, considering that GUM was widely believed to be the most profitable of pmCO's hubs. However, UA has made so many cuts to GUM service that it's hard to see them adding that route. They won't cut GUM-HNL, as that's a huge O&D market on its own, and I don't know if they have enough mainland-bound passengers to make use of both an HNL and SFO flight.
Oscar was on GUM a few months ago and gave the formula needed in order for any non stop service to commence between GUM and CONUS:

https://www.postguam.com/business/un...7df2c3d28.html
Direct Guam-mainland flights uncertain

Guam's lack of direct air service to and from the U.S. mainland also will be unchanged for a while. The passenger volume and revenues required to sustain these direct flights are not adding up for Guam just yet, he said.

Such a long-haul flight will cost a lot of fuel and a lot of business-class travelers to help make the numbers work, he said, and Guam doesn't have the right volume of business travelers to sustain direct service to the mainland.

Guam would need to fill 250 to 300 seats three times a week, through a sustained period, for the airline to consider the route viable.

"I'm not gonna say never," he said of the direct Guam-U.S. mainland flights.