FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Texas] DL [with out of state address] not accepted - what now?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:43 pm
TWA884
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I doubt that a random TSA agent is an expert regarding address requirements for drivers' licenses in all fifty states. In fact, I very much doubt that the 30 days rule is universal, and it could also matter whether the OP actually drives (and where).
The Texas rule is 90 days.

In addition, Texas requires applicants to complete a Texas residency affidavit which states: "To be eligible for a Texas driver license or identification card, the applicant must be a resident of or domiciled in Texas" and: "The individual who resides at the address in Section A must complete Section B certifying that the applicant resides at that address and provide two acceptable documents establishing proof of residency."

ETA:

Then I found this:
If your true, fixed and permanent home (domicile) is in Texas and you are living outside of the state, you may be eligible to renew or replace your Texas driver license or ID card without returning to Texas.

Examples of people living outside of the state who have Texas domicile include certain U.S. active duty military members, students whose parents live in Texas and people temporarily living outside of Texas for work.