FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA 300 (N114NN) hits sign on / about takeoff from JFK and returns (10 Apr 2019)
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:22 pm
george 3

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by CPRich
Wingtip actually dragged along the ground? Wow.

Google's measurement tool says the DTG marker is >175 from centerline, >75 feet from the lined edge of the runway. That damage is at least 5 feet from the wingtip. If 59 feet from aircraft center to wingtip is correct, that means the aircraft centerline was more then 20 feet off the lined edge of the runway., dragging it's wing on the ground. It could have been a lot worse.

I'm surprised it took more than a minute after being airborne to request a return.
I landed in an RJ on 4R about 75 minutes before this plane rolled. Winds were increasing at the time and were coming out of due north based on how we landed. The runway used was widened and lengthened to handle larger planes (A380 for example) but the departure route is usually a fairly angled left turn over Jamaica Bay and the old airport off Flatbush Avenue. The winds must have picked up considerably after we landed for this plane to have that kind of roll and perhaps be off the center line for takeoff.