FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Japan Air Lines' Return to Seattle Inaugural Flight March 31, 2019
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:37 am
Carfield

Part II

We took off from R/W16R at 6:46pm for the eight hours and ten minutes flight to Seattle. It was a pretty straightforward over the water flight. We pretty much climbed up to 39,000 feet during the night, and did not see land till passing Sekiu, Port Angeles, Sequim, Port Ludlow, Braintree and Vashon Islands, and then Tacoma before turning back towards Sea-tac airport R/W34.

Cabin service began shortly after seat belt sign was turned off at 7:04pm.
As I said earlier, unlike its sister route to Vancouver, Seattle flights feature the full long haul BEDD menu with canapés, and then an a-la-carte on-demand menu for the rest of the flight. Main course from the Western menu was plated individually in the galley, instead of served in a casserole dish.

Here is the wine list for March 2019:
Champagne & Wine
Champagne
Piper-Heidsieck Essentiel Extra Brut N.V.
Or Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve N.V.

White Wine
Kleine Zaize Vineyard Selection Chardonnay 2017
Or Bourgogne Vieilles Vignes de Chardonnay

IGP Collines Rhadaniennes “La COmbe Pilate” 2016
Or Cline Viognier North Coast USA Or Stepp Pinot Blanc Germany

Rapaura Springs Classic 2017 Sauvignon Blanc
Or Dr. L. Riesling Qualitätswein Feinbherb Germany

Red Wine
Chateau Loudenne, Médoc Cru Bourgeois 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon
Or Felino Malbec Mendoza Argentina

Bouchard Père et Fils Bourgogne Pinot Reserve 2017 Pinot Noir
Or Villa Wolf Pinot Noir Qaulitätswen Trocken Germany
3/1 AMR

Sake
HAKURAKUSEI Junmai Daiginyo Miyagi
RAIFUKU Junmai Daiginjo AIAYAMA Ibraki

Hot towel in a lacquered tray was passed out at 7:13pm.

Followed by linen placed on the tray table

Japanese Menu
This menu is created by Chef Jun Kurogi of “KUROGI” Shibadaimon Tokyo.

Sakizuke
Sesame Tofu Wasabi
Created by Chef Jun Kurogi

Moral Mushroom Flan
Broad Beans
Created by Chef Shinobu Namae

Spring Haze – Selection of seasonal colorful delicacies
Jellyfish dressed with Sesame Vinegar Sauce
Simmered Prawn
Kelp Roll with Herring
Dried Mullet Roe
Japanese Omelette
Simmered Bamboo Shoots with Dried Bonito Flakes
Mustard Flavored “Nanohana” Vegetable
Tuna “Sashimi”
Sweet Vinegared Yam
Tender-simmered Abalone
Simmered Asparagus

Dainomono
Grilled Ginger Beef
Simmered Mackerel with Miso Sauce
454 kcal

Steamed Rice
We are pleased to offer freshly steamed “Yukigura Imazurimai” Koshihikari rice

Miso Soup
Japanese Pickles

Kanmi
*Slightly Salted Chocolate Caramel Mousse
Specially created and served on the Seattle flights

Green Tea

Western Menu
The menu is created by Chef Shinobu Namae of “L’ Effervescence” Nishiazabu Tokyo

Amuse Bouche

Sesame Tofu Wasabi
Created by Chef Jun Kurogi

Moral Mushroom Flan
Broad Beans

Hors d’oeuvre

Horse Mackerel Escabeche

Asparagus Honey Mustard Sauce

Conger Eel & Ratatouille

Sakura Shrimp Potato Salad

Braised Duck Breast & Burdock

[Sea Salt, Butter, and Pepper]

Main Dish Choice
Wagyu Beef Sirloin Steak
Port Sauce, Japanese Pepper Butter
433 kcal

Port Sauce on the side

Medium

Or
Seasonal Seafood
Basil Anchoïade Sauce
213 kcal
Or
*Poêlée of Atlantic salmon in Clam Chowder
213 kcal

Light vegetarian menu is also available from ANYTIME YOU WISH.
“Soy Meat Fajita Sour Cream”

Special Bread from Maison Kayser

Petite Nature

Matcha Green Tea Ekmek

Dessert
*Slightly Salted Chocolate Caramel Mousse

Coffee Tea

Special Seattle menu

Special menus to celebrate the launch of the Tokyo-Seattle Route

Thank you for flying with us today.
To celebrate the launch of the Tokyo-Seattle route, we are offering special menus for dinner today only.
We hope you enjoy them.

Main Dish (Western Menu)
Poêlée of Atlantic salmon in Clam Chowder

Kanmi (Japanese Menu)/Dessert (Western Menu)
Slightly Salted Chocolate Caramel Mousse

I got a cheese plate after dessert because I was still a big hungry.

Bottled water was passed out after dinner – JAL uses a rather large sized bottle too!

As I said earlier, the crews looked a bit stressed. The Singaporean F/A, Cynthia, did a greeting to me after takeoff, as she noticed my Chinese last name. Unfortunately, she did not work my side of the cabin. Of course, the F/As were not rude or anything. They did their job efficiently but at times, I felt that they were a bit robotic. They usually were more enthusiastic on these inaugural flights, but other than Ban, the head F/A, no one seemed to be particular impressed with the new destination. I usually like to ask the cockpit crews and cabins crews to sign my first flight certificate and most F/As would have no issues. I did it on my previous ANA inaugural flight to San Jose, CA, as well as JAL inaugural flight to Kona. However, I approached the wrong purser. I should have asked Ban. This purser immediately rejected my request about the cockpit crews because she said that she could not get into the cockpit, and I was a bit taken aback. I guess she caught my shock and tried to change subjects. However, she reluctantly agreed to ask the rest of the cabin crews to sign my first flight certificate. I really did not expect that kind of reaction on a Japanese airline. Next time, I will just go with the crews that I know and stop presuming the white coat F/A is more well-trained and refined.

I slept for a few hours before waking up to the sunrise.

I headed to the self-service counter and took a few pictures there.

Assorted Snacks

Galley at door 2

Door

Ban saw me at the door and asked me to sign the pilot’s log book.

Bathroom – that infant changing table is basically unrealistic, unless your babies are really small.

Japanese bidet

Amenities – toothbrush sets, mouthwash, and lotions

I also want to discuss the bathroom situation on these newly reconfigured 787-8s. Unlike the 787-9s that had three bathrooms including two next to Door 2R and 2L, there are only two bathrooms in the business class section – one located in the front next to the cockpit and one in the mid-cabin behind Door 2R. There was long queues during the busy post-departure and pre-arrival times, and the F/As did not have time to check out the bathroom’s situation. Given to the full flight this morning, the bathrooms were constantly occupied. You really had to queue up to secure the space. It was hard to ask them to add a bathroom now but JAL should be aware of it.

For some reasons, the F/As turned on the lights really early at 00:36am Tokyo time/8:36am Seattle time. There got to be a better way to do it for these short overnight flights. As most of us know, the Japanese are extremely punctual and the a la carte cutoff time was 90 minutes prior to arrival. The F/As really wanted to make sure everyone got to order “breakfast” before the cutoff time. I will rather they serve breakfast at 90 minutes prior to arrival on the Vancouver flights. Maybe they need to think about “breakfast cards” concept so they don’t need to turn on all the cabin lights this early.

The sun was already rising by this time.

I then ordered my breakfast, which consisted of the special savory pancake set for the Seattle flight and the special Michelin Star’s “Tsuta” ramen. The pancake was a mistake because it was too filling. The pancake was more like a bread bowl than a normal pancake. It is good that only Seattle flights feature these odd pancake dish. The ramen was fine and it was better to have it in the ground at their stores. I also prefer the other ramen JAL serves.

Here is the full a la carte menu:
Anytime You Wish
We are pleased to serve following menus at any time after the first meal service. Please ask our cabin attendant by 1 hour and 30 minutes before landing.

Light Meal
Soy Meat Fajita
Sour Cream
Recommendation for light vegetarian

JAL The Curry
JAL original chicken curry supervised by “Hashimoto” in Kumamoto, listed as a 1-star restaurant in the “Michelin Guide Kumamoto and Oita 2018 special edition.”

Beef Plate

Noodles
JAL Original “Japanese Soba Noodles TSUTA” Ramen Noodles in Soy Sauce Soup
Please enjoy rich aroma of truffle oil

Japanese Hot “Udon” Noodles
Edible Wild Plants

Sandwich
Salmon Bagel Sandwich
“Sangenton” Pork Cutlet Sandwich

Cheese Selection
Assorted Cheese

Refreshment
Fresh Fruits
Yogurt Fruit Sauce
Haagen-Dazs Ice Cream – Vanilla, Cookies & Cream, Strawberry

The following menus are created by renowned fine cuisine producer and chef – her home ground is Paris – Fumiko Kono.

“Fumiko’s Japanese Set Plate”
Dainomono
Cubed Tuna “Sashimi” & Avocado Japanese Pepper Leaves
Green Leafy Vegetable & Quinoa dressed with Sesame

Soup
Japanese Clear Soup
“Hana-fu,” Shaved Kelp

Steamed Rice
Japanese Pickles & Soy-simmered Kelp

“Fumiko’s Western Set Plate”
Main Dish
Roast Lamb with Herb Breadcrumbs & Japanese Pepper Paste
Seasonal Vegetables

Fromage Blanc Mousse & Citrus Fruits

Special Bread from MAISON KAYSER
Petite Nature
Smoked Pain de Campagne
You can enjoy your breads with olive oil
We are pleased to offer you jam. Please ask your cabin attendant.

Western Set Plate
The following set plate is also available.

Original Pancake
Raw Ham, Cheddar Cheese
(Limited menu only for the Tokyo-Seattle Route)

Fresh Fruits

Hot green tea to end the meal

After breakfast, the F/A passed out another inaugural gift, which was a shoe horn keychain, and I was not sure if economy class passengers received the same additional gift. It might be just a small extra something for the premium cabin.

We finally saw land and entered the Strait of San Juan de Fuca.

Seattle

Sea-tac

Tacoma

A Delta Embraer was landing in parallel to us too

We landed on R/W34R at 10:56am local time. It was a beautiful day here in Seattle. Unfortunately, there was no water salute for our arrival.

Taxing to Gate S16

We were greeted by local staff and we got a small luggage tag gift from Port of Seattle.

New Check-in area

JA838J being towed to its departing gate at A concourse

Ban was once again there to say goodbye to passengers and I will argue that Ban is perhaps the only F/A, who provides the perfect service, and is enthusiastic about JAL’s return to Seattle. Despite seeing those two planes – KE 77W and DL 359 parked, the immigration and custom hall was completely empty. Most of the KE passengers were already processed by then. With global entry, I was in the baggage claim area at no time, and bags came out at 11:18am – sixteen minutes after we parked at gate S16. I was able to get into the train back to the main terminal by 11:30am.