FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Domestic IN availability to grow
View Single Post
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:12 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amtrakusa
that is not correct, I and IN pricing are still at saver level for now.
Nobody knows whether or not this is true. UA has specifically said that they are removing the charts and that awards will not be capped. They did not say, "we will have a saver award chart and an uncapped Everyday award chart." They are clearly using dynamic pricing for saver awards now, because some of them are now cheaper than what's listed on the chart.

Is it possible that they're going to continue to keep the saver chart, internally, without publishing it, and that saver award prices will be capped? Sure, but I wouldn't bet on it. All signs point toward much higher redemption costs than in the past. Personally, I suspect that they will keep the I/IN/ZN/JN inventory buckets, because they will want to give some availability to partners and also have "better" availability for credit card holders and premier travelers. But that doesn't mean that anybody will like the prices that they see for I/IN inventory, just that they may be less nauseating than the ZN/JN price.

And, if you're basing this on some anecdotal searches done past 11/15, keep in mind that when they first introduced Everyday awards, the prices didn't jump to the new maxima right away. It took some time before their software went through and touched every flight; now, it's common to see max'ed out prices across the board for Everyday awards.

Originally Posted by amtrakusa
Most people don't get what is changing and what is not changing.
This, I agree with.