FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Business class service - from July 2018 - Experiences and Discussion
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:16 pm
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker

They do now: Osmanthus jelly with wolfberries

https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/c...hong-kong-menu

Seriously how many westerners will want to have this as a dessert ? No wonder the ice cream was finished

I have no problem offering a local cuisine option, but offer something standard as well !

I think it's a good point they need to load more ice cream.

But "standard" is in the eye of the beholder. Frankly, there are a lot more Chinese people than Americans to whom this dessert would be more "standard" than, say a brownie or hot fudge sundae. I will add, I've been traveling with European clients in the US who explicitly complain about American desserts. Meanwhile, to some local palates a cheesecake or something of that nature would not be "standard" at all. I really have no idea what's standard!

Count me as one Westerner in Hong Kong who likes this Chinese dessert. But anyway, it's an Asian airline.

CX used to serve great Western options, but as we know cost cutting has taken its toll. But that's separate from the fact they're offering normal HK desserts. Rap CX all you want for cost cutting and everything else (they well deserve it); but not their decision to service a typical Hong Kong dessert on Hong Kong's flagship airline! AA serves a hot fudge sundae because it's "American Airlines". I think it's fair to expect standard American desserts on American airlines, just like I'd be understanding if a Japanese dessert was the only option on JAL, or a HK dessert on CX. Granted we're usually spoilt for choice, but cost cutting has taken its toll at CX so now the NUMBER of options we have suck even further. But definitely the "standard" dessert for locals is this, not something Western.

It might seem a little cutting teeth here but I think the problem is # of choices, not the choice they select. If they only choose one some people will be happy, others not. "Standard" is totally subjective on culture. CX has a choice problem and sadly, the trend hasn't been improving at all for years.

Last edited by QRC3288; Apr 10, 2019 at 10:21 pm