FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No nuts please!
Thread: No nuts please!
View Single Post
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:16 pm
nancypants

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by GCab
I'm sorry but I am going to respond further to this despite my earlier post, because there is a tide of irrationality sweeping the world at the moment and looking at those sources I detect a common thread

All these links are from the "I can't believe this happened to me AND THEY WOULDN'T LISTEN [*optional* EVEN THOUGH I AM AN ACTUAL MOM]" school of populist, "the liberal globalist authorities/big business are out to get us" journalism (Sun/Mail/Fox/Mirror - seriously?), and seem to be more about the psychological reactions of those involved, than the actual biological ones.

I haven't yet trawled each one for details but a lot of it seems perceptual rather than objective, in the same mode as a lot of the of the anti-vaccine stuff out there ("this happened, and it might be related to X, but in any case I'm very very upset about it, and that's what counts").

The tone (if not the actual words) of most of those articles, read as if Brexit/Trump would be the solution of nut allergies, if only "They" would listen to Real People/Hard-working Families. Just saying.

No reflection on the many seriously anaphylactic people out there (including those cited in the articles), or those here who are related to them - my comment is mainly around the editorial colour around these articles. The links are mainly from trash press, and are not evidence. I admit though that I did ask for actual stories and you have provided these, so I apologise for moving the goalposts, and I do applaud and support you for pushing the "jeez, why not just do what it takes to help others" angle - really can't criticise that at all.

Happy to discuss anything more scientific for debate purposes - I just don't think these articles are that.
i’ll help you out anyway
1) passengers within a few rows of affected served nuts
2) passengers within a few rows of affected served nuts
3) skin reaction from tray table ?contaminated with nut residue
4) duplicate of 3
5) passengers within a few rows of affected served nuts
6) hasn’t even got on the plane yet but scared to because Cathay have said they will still serve nuts

the psychological angle definitely comes into this and I would suggest is probably more damaging than the actual risk