FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No nuts please!
Thread: No nuts please!
View Single Post
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:00 am
GCab

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by kipper
Then don't serve it to the kids. Make sure you serve the kids first, keeping their meals isolated from those with pine nuts, and wash your hands in between handling the food with pine nuts and anything for the kids.

Ideally, allow for at least a few seats' worth of a buffer, so the kid doesn't accidentally ingest anything from that meal (for example, the person next to the kid drops a piece of the pesto, the kid touches it, then touches their glass, etc.).

Coming back from PRG last fall, I was on a DL flight and had notified them of my nut allergy in advance. When we arrived, we were asked about it, and I confirmed my nut allergy. Once we boarded, before takeoff, both an FA and the purser confirmed my nut allergy. When the FAs handed out the menus, I noticed that one of the meals included pesto. I asked the FA if it was possible to ensure one of whatever the other meal was available for me, given my allergy. The FA said she would make sure to accommodate me, and her solution was to serve me when serving all of the other special meals. It worked well, as it was a minor inconvenience for her and ensured I could eat on the flight. I really do wish airlines would give the option to pre-order a nut-free meal.
This, to me, seems the perfect answer to this entire thread.