FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What to do with all those GGU's?
View Single Post
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:48 am
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by roberto.triviani
For Gold/75K member who did not originally buy the "upgradable fare" and wants to do so later when U space is available, I assume it is possible that fare goes way up relative to the original "upgradeable fare" observed at booking.

As an example, if U space isn't available, and the premium over main cabin fare is $100, it seems the best practice I've read on this thread is that one should not buy that upgradable fare. However, I assume in this case we are risking the premium going higher than $100 quoted in this example. Is that right? Any experiences or best practices to share?
For me, as an MVPG75K, I don't purchase upgradeable fares unless I can confirm the upgrade at the time of booking. Sometimes the lowest main fare is already an eligible fare; K class or higher.

An MVPG75K can select any seat, including exit and premium, at the time of booking, down to R class, without charge, so I will just choose a premium seat and expect to sit there. My position on the waitlist is usually very high and I am upgraded most of the time anyway.

Between my partner and I, we were able to utilize all 26 of our GGUs last year on itineraries including transcons, Hawaii & Costa Rica on companion certificates. In many cases only 1 GGU each was required to upgrade 3 & 4 segments on our itineraries.

If you are flying on non-reconfigured pmVX aircraft, those flights will have little to none U space prior to OLCI and broken seats reducing inventory are not being fixed.

Since you have a change/cancel fee waiver as an MVPG+, I wouldn't purchace an eligible fare with no U availability. I would monitor for U and call in to upfare and secure the upgrade up to T-120 if you feel the fare difference, commensurate to flight duration, fits your value parameters. Purchasing an eligible fare is no guarantee of an upgrade.

For MVPG. I would never purchase an eligible fare without U as if no U opens up prior to the MVPG75K window at T-120 hrs, according to others on this thread, an MVPG75K, even on an ineligible fare, would be upgraded before an MVPG on an eligible fare.

In the case of the lowest main cabin fare already being eligible, I would monitor and if U opens, call to apply your GGU right up to gate control since sometimes there is a lag between the release of U space and the upgrade processor running, giving "opportunity" to "snag" the upgrade.

Jamrs in Kigali.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Apr 10, 2019 at 7:55 am