FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Palacio De Santa Paula, Autograph Collection - Granada, Spain [Master Thread]
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:05 am
ehallison

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
We recently had a 2-night stay here.

About the stay:

We stayed on points and were offered an upgrade to the old convent section of the hotel, with rooms overlooking an interior courtyard. The only drawback to this room is that we could hear some light restaurant noise until late (after midnight). It wasn’t bad and wouldn’t have kept me from sleeping if I was so inclined. But we could hear ALL the noise from an event which was luckily during the day. So if you are offered one of these rooms on a weekend, you might want to ask about scheduled events. I’d have been unhappy if the wedding party went on until midnight.

Titanium benefits were good. We were offered points or $10 F&B credit. We opted for the credit which we used in the bar. It more than covered a glass of wine and a beer. I’d have ordered a second glass of wine if I’d realized. The breakfast was well explained at check-in. It was a continental which included juice, coffee, fruit, breads, yogurt, custard, and cheeses and cured meats. There were small (4-7 euros) upcharges if you wanted something cooked from the kitchen but we were fine with the continental choices. It wasn’t a buffet – you tell the waiter your choices. One morning we had an early time slot at the Alhambra so we let the waiter know as we were seated when they opened at 7AM, and he took care of us very quickly. The breakfast was in the main restaurant which is a lovely space.

The location was great. Everything within walking distance, although we chose to catch the city bus up to the Alhambra instead of walking uphill that morning. It stops about 2 blocks from the hotel. You could walk if you wanted - we wanted to see the Alhambra at night (did you know the grounds are open with no ticket required?!) and walked up then. Beautiful and peaceful.

About the TripAdvisor theft reports:

After staying here, I am convinced that the 4 complaints on TripAdvisor about theft from the room were all about a single incident AND that the safe was not locked. The safe was different from any hotel safe I’ve ever encountered. I had to read the directions through and practice twice before successfully locking it. I mentioned it to my husband, and when we next left the room he thought he had locked it…but he hadn’t. (the basic idea is that you set the code once and then turn a lever every time you want to lock the safe. Typing in the code UNLOCKS the safe. So if you are in the habit of typing in a code to lock the safe, and retyping it to unlock, what you will really be doing is leaving it unlocked every time). Of course it’s terrible when anything goes missing from a room and I’m not excusing it if it happened. But I wouldn’t let the multiple TA reviews scare you off based on what appears to be an isolated incident (and who knows if the property possibly addressed it internally/fired someone but doesn’t want to say publicly).

In summary: Great stay, great elite benefits; we’d choose this hotel again.