FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fly for free on Swiss to Europe and get a 300$ travel voucher on top
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:50 pm
Nic33

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer

Apparently an US-American women tried to enter Switzerland (flying from the US) without a legal travel documents (passport valid less than 90 days)

She was catched by the Kantonspolizei at ZRH, and since there was no further flights back to the US that day so she could get deported same-day, she was held till next morning, then sent back to the US.
To deport a tourist because he/she lacks a few days of validity in her passport makes no sense, and I fail to see any reasonnable grounds to do so, except to rigidly apply bureaucratic rules. There is no public interest for the Kantonspolizei to do so.

In addition, such behaviour towards tourists and business travellers reminds me the practices of corrupt official in corrupt countries, though I am not disputing that the Kantonspolizei was applying the rules here.

As a Swiss citizen, I believe that my tax money would be better used for other tasks, among others to assist tourists, rather than to deport them.