FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JetSmarter - discussion and experiences
View Single Post
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:51 pm
millions

Originally Posted by imperialg
Did anyone else get correspondence via mail about the class action lawsuit settlement?
I strongly recommend you speak to an experienced litigation attorney about it. I would specifically ask him/her for his advice about whether this arbitrator has the authority to bind you (including requiring you to opt out).

I’d also recommend you read the Supreme Court’s opinion in Oxford Health Plans LLC v. Sutter, 569 U.S. 564, 573 (2013), specifically Justice Alito’s concurrence:

With no reason to think that the absent class members ever agreed to class arbitration, it is far from clear that they will be bound by the arbitrator’s ultimate resolution of this dispute. Arbitration “is a matter of consent, not coercion,” Volt Information Sciences, Inc. v. Board of Trustees of Leland Stanford Junior Univ., 489 U. S. 468, 479 (1989) , and the absent members of the plaintiff class have not submitted themselves to this arbitrator’s authority in any way.

The distribution of opt-out notices does not cure this fundamental flaw in the class arbitration proceeding in this case. “[A]rbitration is simply a matter of contract between the parties,” First Options of Chicago, Inc. v. Kaplan, 514 U. S. 938, 943 (1995) , and an offeree’s silence does not normally modify the terms of a contract, 1 Restatement (Second) of Contracts §69(1) (1979). Accordingly, at least where absent class members have not been required to opt in, it is difficult to see how an arbitrator’s decision to conduct class proceedings could bind absent class members who have not authorized the arbitrator to decide on a classwide basis which arbitration procedures are to be used.