FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Targeted Promotions, 2019
View Single Post
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:09 am
margarita girl
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Assimilated Cajun
I received the double qualifying nights promotion invitation on April 1. It applies to all nights between the day after I register and June 30. But the thing is: on April 2 I completed 15 continuous nights at various Marriott properties that brought my 2019 total to 44 nights. I have eight more nights scheduled during the promotion period, so the promotion will put me at 60 rather than 52. But if I’d gotten the invitation a couple of weeks earlier – as I gather many people did — I would be at 59 now and at 75 by June 30. It doesn’t matter that much to me, because I will surely hit 75 by the end of the year. But I can’t help wondering if their algorithm postponed my invitation until my scheduled stays were just about over. It would make sense, since presumably the point of the promotion is to get people to stay more, not to reward behavior that would have happened even without the promotion. But if their system is sophisticated enough to get this right, I can’t help wishing they would put the same people to work on trying to correct the erroneous numbers of lifetime nights and years on my account.
A lot of people don't receive an email at all. I'd blame it on IT incompetence rather than a plan to foil you.