FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Customer Service refused to send me to the Loyalty desk
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:53 am
hockeyinsider
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Karen2
We have two trips coming up back to back and I was counting on an upgrade, etc.
If your husband was lifetime gold in legacy Marriott then he should know enough to never count on an upgrade. If getting a better room is so important to you then you should pay for a better room.

At any rate, today, I spoke to Vickie of Salt Lake City because an email from Bonvoy instructed me to call Customer Service. When it was clear that Vickie had no idea what the program names were prior to NOW, I asked, as William suggested, to speak to a supervisor.
I agree that a customer service agent should be familiar with how the now-defunct Marriott Rewards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards, and Starwood SPG loyalty programs and status levels transitioned to the Marriott Bonvoy loyalty program and status levels, but it is completely unreasonable to expect an agent to know what Marriott levels were in 1990 or 1985. That's at least 29 years ago. Any agent who worked for Marriott back then is most likely in management now or long since gone.

Look, reading between the lines, it sounds like your husband used to travel frequently and stay frequently with Marriott. I'm not questioning that. However, it does sound as if he hasn't stayed regularly in the last several years, at least not regularly enough to maintain elite status.

I get your frustration but if your husband has had some sort of Marriott elite status since 1983 or 1985 then I'd suggest he has a good run at it and all good things must come to an end eventually.

I'm in my 30s and have ambassador status and lifetime titanium status. I don't expect Marriott to even exist in 29 years from now, but if it did I don't expect my lifetime titanium status to mean anything. Hell, in 29 years from now, I hope I am spending time with grandkids and not complaining to the robot working the front desk about whatever at a hotel.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Apr 7, 2019 at 6:59 am