FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AWAY brand luggage
View Single Post
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:30 pm
shawbridge

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Question about garment sleeve

Originally Posted by UnitedGS_seat2B
I ordered the larger carry on with the USB charger. I mostly carry on for any business trip less that 5 days. I have a sky roll spinner which I love. If I need 2 suits and 4 dress shirts the sky roll was maxed out and I needed something a bit bigger.

Most of the video reviews for the away travel did not show men’s dress clothes. Away sells the optional internal Centerfold Garment Sleeve (for The Bigger Carry-On). I found a video that showed how it works

Garment Sleeve: link coming soon. (To new to post)
Thanks @RoyMan and others for helpful reviews. I've had many brands over the years (Tumi, Samsonite, B&R, Travelpro, and a couple of Kirklands). I'm close to retiring a Kirkland spinner (was hard-sided on the bottom and soft-sided on the top) after 10 years of many trips. (According to a Samsonite exec I spoke to, it was probably made by Samsonite). The telescoping handle is getting funky. Kirkland doesn't appear to have a successor.

I like the Bigger Away with the pocket for my toiletries. One question I've had is how the Centerfold Garment Sleeve would work for a taller person (I wear a 44L suit). In general, when I have had suiters inside the bag, the suits are wrinkled when I unpack. My sense was that a suit of my length would come out the end the Centerfold Garment Sleeve and might get rumpled (especially if compressed). As you have used it for a while, is your experience @UnitedGS_seat2B was that your suits aren't rumpled when you unpack or that you need to steam or press them.

My current solution is as follows. I have a tri-fold garment sleeve from an old TravelPro (with padding at the folds) and put one to two suits in it -- occasionally a shirt or two or extra pants. But, I carry the sleeve on my Kirkland spinner above my briefcase rather than putting it in the spinner. As soon as I get on the plane, I ask to hang it. [I usually am flying J or F and even if I am not, I usually have status so they tend to try to be nice to me]. In principle, people at the airport could ask me to put the TravelPro into my suitcase, but this may have happened once in 10 years. My suits are never rumpled when I use that method. I worry that the Centerfold Garment Sleeve wouldn't work outside the suitcase because the suits might stick out the bottom. What is your experience?

My TravelPro has the advantage of just having a hole through which my existing hangers poke through -- it doesn't require a couple of extra inches of length that the Centerfold Garment Sleeve and many others do because they have clips inside the garment bag for the hangers and then the garment bag has its own hanging attachment. However, it does not fully protect the garments at the top. I did notice that a shirt collar had scuffed against something and needed cleaning. Other than the TravelPro, the only alternative to the Centerfold Garment Sleeve I can think of might be a Wallybags garment sleeve with handles.

I'd love to get your experience @UnitedGS_seat2B. Thanks.