FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pre Existing Reservation changed to higher points
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:53 am
Xu Guan

Points Reservation Changed Overnight to Higher Category and Points Deducted

When I woke up this morning, I saw that I had a few reservations I had for an upcoming vacation send a confirmation email to me. While I did not think much of it and when I went to check my account to see if my credit card points had posted. To my surprise, my account balance was down about 100,000 points from the day previous when I was expecting it to be up.

When I went to check the details, apparently a reservation I had received an e-mail for had been changed and now charged at a higher tier. I booked a hotel that was going from a category 7 to a category 8 at the category 7 rate. Because of the change I now have been charged 25000 points a night extra for the stay I made no changes to and these points have already been deducted from my account.

I went to check my other reservations and noticed that another one changed from a category 3 to a category 4 and was no longer a confirmed reservation. The system wanted me to reconfirm the reservation at a higher rate and deduct an additional 75000 points from my account. I have more than enough points for this stay and booking now and paying later has never even been an option for me when booking a hotel on points. I happen to find this when looking at all of my points reservation and never received an email confirmation this morning for this stay.

I do not know what happened in these two specific instances, but the rest of my points reservations look to be correct. I have 2 reservations for 2 rooms at the place that went from a category 3 to a category 4 and one reservation is fully confirmed at the category 3 rate. (For those wanting to know specific properties, this is at the W Hong Kong and the Renaissance Shanghai Yu Garden.) I also received confirmation emails for other properties that I am staying at on vacation but those reservations were unchanged.

Word to the wise, double check your points reservations as something seems to have happened last night in the glorious Bonvoy IT world. Hopefully, my ambassador is able to fix the mess.