FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Forced W to Y downgrade ORD-LHR 789 to unrefitted 788
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:37 pm
AAdamE

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by badm96
I don’t know how typical this is but a change in equipment caused my flight (AA46 ORD-LHR in 787-9) to no longer has Premium Economy. Result, I got downgraded to Economy even though I was in a paid W (full fare PE). Agents at ORD must not know much about PE because they seemed to be confused and told me that I had a good seat in coach. I tried to explain that I paid 1000 more for my W ticket but they wouldn’t listen.

I even called the PLT desk and they were not sympathetic suggesting that that my company would get a refund once I arrive.

I should have flown BA. The 787 is nicer but at least BA agents know what WTP is.

(What got me really upset is one agent came over and said there are plenty of J on the next flight but my agent said that I wasn’t an EXP and they wouldn’t upgrade PLT….She said that W is the same as Y)

I am really upset because there is a difference between Economy and PE and I am doing a 6 hour layover in London because of it.

I had something similar happen to me, the agents don’t care, they try and focus on getting you to your destination on time. They are compensated terribly and have essentially no incentive to go the extra mile, yet many still will.

Even if you were EXP or PlatPro, you would have had to use a systemwide upgrade, it’s not something they just give folks in situations like these, and it’s not that the employees didn’t think Platinum is “good” enough for a consolation upgrade, their system won’t allow it.

While you are traveling on business I get that a refund doesn’t help. But if you write into AA they will likely provide a small voucher in your name that you can use on personal travel or miles.