FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - B737MAX Recertification - Archive
View Single Post
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:57 am
clubord

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lazytom
But if for whatever reason you allowed it to get far out of trim and then do the memory items for stab runaway - I watched Mentourpilot's video again - according to that, the memory items are:
1) hold controls firmly
2) disengage autopilot
3) disengage autothrottle
4) if problem not yet solved, cut out the electric trim

At this point you're in big trouble, because the only option is to use manual trim, right?
I wouldn’t necessarily say you’re in big trouble. Plane flies fine using only manual trim. Issue here is the MCAS forced the trim in an extreme nose down position if autotrim is kept engaged (or re-engaged as with ET). Both pilots need to work together to get the trim back into a normal range.

Do I feel Boeing is at fault for the engineering of MCAS and the lack of information distributed to its customers...absolutely! However, the recovery procedure is nothing new and I still do feel this was a recoverable situation based on my experience in the plane.

Every Boeing 737 type rated pilot has worked a runaway trim scenario in the simulator. If I recall it was sim session 2 or 3 during my type certification at Continental. I imagine the FAA will require this demonstration to be done at a lower, more critical altitude for future training curriculums because of this event.