FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:18 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

9. You’ve got quite a busy week ahead of you! From your company’s home base in Churchill Falls, Newfoundland, you’ll be making sales calls in Montreal, Syracuse, Chicago and Kansas City. It’s an ambitious itinerary, but thankfully your travel agent is more than up to the task. You’ve been booked on four airlines – a different one for each city you’ll be visiting. Interestingly, each airline will be operating the same type of jet. Can you identify the jet type and then match the airline with the route flown? (1. YWW-YUL 2. YUL-SYR 3. SYR-ORD 4. ORD-MCI)

BONUS QUESTION 18D: Everybody knows that Braniff's original 747 was painted orange - as were subsequent variants a few years later. However, Braniff originally ordered TWO 747-127s and the second one was planned to wear a different color. What color was it and what airline did it end up being delivered to (not as a -127)
9. When I think of Churchill Falls (and I flew quite close to this remote community in Newfoundland this past Tuesday while enjoying the business class service on board an AA B777-223ER from LHR to DFW), I think of Quebecair and the BAC One-Eleven (although QB also ran a B727-100 into nearby Wabush back in the mid 70's while Eastern Provincial served Churchill Falls with the B737-200). So there's our first flight from YWW (or was it actually ZUM back then?) to Montreal Dorval as well as the equipment being the BAC One-Eleven operated on all four flights. I'll guess the second air carrier was Mohawk operating from YUL down to Syracuse with the third airline being American from SYR to Chicago O'Hare and the fourth operator being Braniff International from ORD to Kansas City. And many moons ago back in 1971, I flew on board a BN BAC One-Eleven from Chicago to Kansas City.

Speaking of good old Braniff International......

Bonus 18-D: I vividly remember the big fanfare that accompanied the start of nonstop 747 service by Braniff between Dallas and Honolulu. Our family was living in Houston at the time and Braniff had elaborately decorated one of their gates at Houston Intercontinental in a Hawaiian motif. Of course, one had to fly from IAH to Dallas on board a BN 727 and then connect to the 747 service as the "Great Pumpkin" had replaced Braniff's Boeing 707-320 nonstop and direct service between Houston and Hawaii.....and although I never got to fly on board a BN operated 747, I did travel with Braniff many times on board B720, B727-100, and B727-200 aircraft as well as my favorite, the BAC One-Eleven.

But what about that other 747? Well, if memory serves me correctly, it would have featured a green paint scheme and may have possibly then been nicknamed the "Big Watermelon". However, as Seat 2A points out, this second 747 was never delivered to Braniff. And Max Ward then came into picture with the aircraft subsequently being delivered to Wardair up in Canada.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 5, 2019 at 7:57 am Reason: correction & additional info