FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta returns to London Gatwick - its first trans-Atlantic destination
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:15 am
kop84

Originally Posted by bennos
I think there's a better chance of B6 operating JFK-SYD on their own metal than DL offering comp J upgrades.

Eh, I'm pretty sure B6 planned for some reaction from the legacy carriers. TCON Mint has certainly stuck around, notwithstanding the major's ability to redeploy product on those routes. Furthermore, if (as rumored) B6 offers onward connectivity from LON into Europe somehow, they'll be a step ahead of DL/VS, which still doesn't have a good connectivity solution on the European side.
Even if B6 can somehow pry 6 slots for just JFK, for MINT that 6 x 16 = 96 seats.
AA/BA run x12 747 and 777's
DL/VS run x8 A330 and A340
UA (from EWR) runs x5 767
Plus the VS and BA flights from EWR
All in, it's roughly 1,100 lie flat seats (or better)

B6 tossing a few narrow bodies out there isn't going to be the same type of game changer that it was for the domestic market. And I'm highly skeptical of how much traction B6 will get with ownard connections from LHR. BA already covers more than B6 can dream of, and on top of that from NYC and BOS you can get nearly anywhere in Europe Non-stop already.

This seems like a cute idea from B6, but I bet they would ultimately do much better BOS to EDI/DUB. A narrow body there probably has an advantage and isn't nearly as expensive to fly to for the airline. LHR taxes and fee's are crazy which will mute a lot of B6's ability to undercut DL/VS and AA/BA.