Old Apr 4, 19, 2:53 pm
fastflyer

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I bought about one month ago, five sAAver awards NYC-LHR-Europe for a week this summer (2 RTs and 1 OW for a friend coming from India who will meet us and travel back with us).

1. I was astonished at my luck to find so much 'U' inventory at 57,500 each way (thanks ExpertFlyer).
2. I booked 3 tickets on AA and 2 tickets on BA, paying the $400 YQ fee.
3. BA radically changed its schedule, so I was able to re-book that ticket onto AA and the YQ fee was refunded (a back-door "trick" of which I was previously unaware)
4. 115,000 AAdvantage miles for a Round-Trip to Europe in Summer in Business all the way (including Club World on the LHR to Europe segment and domestic First on the US segments) is a BARGAIN.
5. I value AAdvantage miles at 1.3 cents, so these tickets are worth $1500 in points to me.
6. The same itinerary currently prices out at $3000, and I expect that will increase further.
7. My EXP status gives me First Lounge access along the way, an additional enhancement over business class.

With bargains like these, I am spending down my account. I am down to 200k miles currently, probably the lowest balance I have had in 10 years.