FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion
View Single Post
Old Apr 4, 19, 2:07 pm
Seat 2A

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by Toshbaf View Post
42. (1976) There are three Fifth Freedom flights from the U.S. to Mexico. Each flight is operated by an airline not from the U.S. or Mexico. Each flight departs from a different U.S. city and each flight arrives in a different Mexican city. Each flight operates with a different type of equipment. Two different airlines are involved. Your job is to identify the three flights; determining each route, airline and aircraft. Buena suerte, Seņor!

I have differing opinions. Mine are:

KLM DC8 AMS-IAH-MEX with local traffic rights for Houston - Mexico City
British Airways VC-10 LHR - JFK - GDL (Guadalajara)
British Airways 707 LHR - IAH - MID (Merida)

Well, we're getting closer. JFK-GDL was one of the routes. And, KLM did indeed once run through IAH to MEX with its DC-8 and later 747. However, in the spring of 1972, neither KLM or British Airways fit the bill. BA you may recall came into Mexico City from BDA or NAS. Please, guess again! You can do it! ^

28. Identify the only two airlines that operated Boeing 720s into London Heathrow during the summer of 1972

Ok, so we know it's not Ethiopean Air Lines and MEA, according to me, and Sudan and PIA, according to WHBM. Let's check with the ticket counters of El Al and Olympic!

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner! El Al and Olympic Airways are correct! And we'll give a very strong possibility of being correct to WHBM with his mention of PIA which designated all of its flights as operating with "JET" equipment but operated its 720Bs far and wide around Europe and West Asia.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 4, 19 at 2:14 pm