FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AVIS etoll charges? How to avoid it?
View Single Post
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:13 am
gobluetwo

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Section 107
In Virgina we have "EZ-Pass." EZ Pass allows one to register multiple vehicles per account. When renting, I simply add the rental vehicle info to the list of vehicles in my EZPass account and then use the transponder as normal. When the rental is over I am sure to take my transponder but I leave the rental vehicle in my list of vehicles for about 60 days after the end of the rental. That way, if any charges do come in I can dispute them. Took only one $3 toll with I think it was a $13 service charge from Enterprise to learn this lesson.
Similar deal with iPass in IL (which also plays nicely with EZ-Pass). I use my transponder when traveling to the East coast.

The iPass account page allows you to indicate whether a vehicle is a rental and put in the desired duration. Since the activity log shows the license plate number of the vehicle, I can tell which charges are for my car and which are for the rental.

I have had Avis try to double-charge me, but it's an easy exercise to send them a pdf of my toll charges and have it reversed. Also have had them charge me for tolls outside of my rental period. Again, easy to correct. Fortunately, it's relatively rare. Out of 20+ rentals last year, it's happened once.