FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oddball currency questions
View Single Post
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:58 pm
:D!

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
Of that, we have 2 old £1 coins. Definitely going to exchange at a Post Office, since paying a £1.50 fee to exchange them at a currency exchange would not be a wise use of money.
Which currency exchange charges £1.50 to exchange old pound coins? If you're referring to the following quoted post, it says that the £1.50 fee was for notes.

Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
I just got back from London and had some recalled coins and notes. The airport currency xchange charged me 1.5 pounds to exchange all my notes. They wouldnt take the old pound coins.

Originally Posted by stut
Scottish notes generally get accepted, sometimes with a little encouragement ("it's that or nothing, pal"), although the new Clydesdale notes are a lot harder to spend.
TfL machines and supermarket self-checkouts seem to accept them without any fuss, but I usually just put them in the bank, as the self-deposit machines take them (including older issues of the paper £5 and £10). Gibraltar notes seem to be a problem at some banks now, but Metro Bank took them as well as a Falklands £5.

My friend tried to deposit a St Helena note at Barclays, which was initially accepted but the branch called him a few days later to try and make him take it back. He made a complaint feigning that he couldn't be sure that the note they were trying to return to him was the one he had deposited, and they compensated him £80. It's a wonder they haven't closed his account.

I've found that in the Channel Islands, most people ask you if you want English notes in change if you're a non-islander.
I haven't, I usually get Jersey notes back when I pay by Jersey notes in Jersey. However I don't use BOE notes in Jersey as that defeats the point of going to Jersey... (for me at least)