FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Cozumel, Mexico [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:48 pm
CruiserCLE

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Just found this thread and wanted to provide my experiences from a stay late last year, many of which are similar to marlee1421. With all of the issues in the forum lately about lack of adherence to policies, breakfast issues, etc, I think this property generally goes above and beyond.

Food: The breakfast benefit and elite "happy hour" of sorts were awesome. Breakfast was (what I consider) an amazing spread of traditional Mexican and American hot foods, a station to get tostadas, huevos rancheros, etc, a wide assortment of pastries and fruit, and plenty of drink options. We utilized the elite happy hour as our lunch most of the days, as it started at 2pm I believe - was a great 3 course (starter, light main, light dessert) afternoon snack with non-alcoholic drinks included. For the type of hotel you're at, I'd much rather have this 2-4p late lunch by the water versus a traditional lounge, and all of it was food I'd prefer any day over the typical evening happy hour offerings in a US lounge. The awesome food coupled with drinks not being overpriced (I vaguely remember the conversion being something like ~$5 for margaritas, 3-4 for beers), made for great pool/beach days.

We never ate at the main restaurant (which I believe is only open for dinner) but the menu seemed a bit more pricey and frankly we wanted to spend most of our evenings in town trying some of the local spots. As an FYI - cab rides were just a few bucks each way from what I can recall. I also second the recommendation for the lobster place across the street - we went there our first night since we had just arrived that afternoon and the food was awesome.

Activities: As an Ambassador, we were able to use the snorkel equipment for free once a day (or per stay, I can't remember), along with access to the spa pools and a discount on services. We didn't purchase any services but the hot and cold tubs were nice to spend some time in one afternoon.

Room: We were upgraded from the base/cheapest room to one with a larger balcony and a hot tub. At check-in they had said all suites and the two villas were sold out (which I had pre-verified via the app). Overall great decor and very well maintained. Even choosing MAGC, the housekeeper insisted on giving us new towels and plenty of bottled water each day which was much appreciated.

Service: As mentioned above, I thought all of the staff were extremely friendly and welcoming, especially in the outdoor restaurant - they remembered us and our drink choices daily. Pool service got a bit slow at times but is understandable when they only had 1-2 people working most of the time.

Other/misc: Just a heads up that one or two of the days there, tour groups from a cruise ship come as part of their excursion to snorkel and use the pool (and eat I believe). It never got overly crowded and there was always seating available, but there was a bit of chaos around arrival and departure time for roundup.

Overall, I thought it was an awesome property to spend a long beach weekend at. I'm not much of a "swim in the ocean" type of person, so the snorkeling and small beach area were plenty for me, and without all of the crowds of Cancun. Obviously the limited service and price of flights to CZM make it more difficult to reach than Cancun but I was fortunate the dates we planned lined up with United's nonstops which only operate certain days of the week during part of the year.