FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Final Good-Bye AA Y&J, FR, SN,OS J. LH-J
View Single Post
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlightNurse
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
So arriving 27 minutes early meant we have more time in the AC, too bad AA does not have Flagship Lounge in PHL they have plenty of International flights with Business class departing and arriving. So we found the old Envoy lounge, its big and airy and has a great view of the runway. Ate some guacamole (ok a lot of it) some soups and just chilled. We got two drink tickets (each) when we arrived, but the bar tender was pouring some strong drinks that day, was able to give away 2 tickets. We left the lounge at 2045 since we had a long walk to gate C24 and not having to walk that part of the airport we wanted to safe. OK, it is a very long walk from the Lounge to C24, it took about 15 minutes to walk it. I PHL has plans on updating this part of the airport, it's dingy, dark and smells, the domestic side is light, bright and airy. We arrived at C24, which is the very last gate. When I looked at the seat map when we arrived in PHL the flight showed about 33 open seats. Flight went out full, it seems this is an employee dream flight if you want to get to Europe, 2 employees got J seats, some got PE seats rest in Y. Boarding started as soon as we arrived at the gate 2105.

AA772
A332
Seats 3 C-F
Dinner- Breakfast

Departed 21:42 (13 minutes early)
Arrived 07:56 (34 minutes early) talk about tailwind

Group 1 called, and boarded via 2L, I made a left turn and hubby went through the galley, on our seats were bedding and Bose headsets and menu's.

It's been stated before that you can tell what kind of service you will have right away and this was going to be a great flight, serving my side was Christian (the purser) who just came back from his 2 weeks in South America, he was great, we had a choice of Cava, OJ or water, Hubby and I had Cava and the FAs keep that flowing until they ran out (3 bottles sorry no photo of the brand) So these A332 have the older version of the Business class seats, they are missing some of the features of the newer business class seats (like, bigger screens for the entertainment) but they are just as comfortable. One of the issues I have is, with the bedding there is no place to really store it unless you place it in the overhead bins.

Hubby and I

I had to go through 3 different headsets before getting a pair that worked, no new B&O headsets for us, I hope AA takes the Bose headsets and uses them in PE, that would be a nice feature.

The amenity kit in blue vinyl very cheap looking and feel, it did come with socks which was great and eye shades (which really helped to sleep) but a pretty cheap kits. Going for Greatness?

Meal orders taken on the ground, and service started 40 minutes after take off, I was wondering why kind of service was going to happen since dinner wouldn't happen until 1045pm or so.

OK Showtime American Style.

Glass of the Bouchard Pere & Fils Macon which was excellent, nut nice and warm.

I had the Crab and Shrimp Cannelloni with a Lemon Shallot Butter Sauce, over all an excellent meal, one of the better ones I've had on AA, the Salmon was good., So it's a watered down service, more like Domestic First. IF you like seafood, get this, Real Carb meat none of that fake crap.. Hubby had the Southern BBQ Chicken which he liked, the chicken was a little dry but the BBQ sauce (there was a lot of it) made up for the dryness.

For desert I had the Irish Cream Mouisse Cake it was good, it looked much better then how it tasted.

Dinner service was done in about 45 minutes, during this time, it was very hard to watch Bohemian Rhapsody since the Bose headsets keep dying on me (went through 3 headsets). But finished the movie brought back a lot of memories for me I remember Live Aid very well, my Fraternity (Kappa Sigma) had a fundraiser for the event, we raised 2K for Live Aid and remember getting up early so we could blasted through out the house (oh to be young and hear that well again.)

Was about to get a solid 4 hours of sleep, Christian woke me up (hubby was up already) and breakfast was served,

Broccoli and Red Pepper Strata it was a very weak strata, had no flavor at all, that was until I had some cholula sauce to it and wake it right up, the chicken sausage was excellent the potatoes were good too,. We started our decent when the plate was handed to me. We arrived a full 30 minute early didn't take long to finish.

From the time we deplaned to the time we cleared custom and got our check back was about 45 minutes, we found the bus we needed to take us to the Intercontinental Dublin the bus stop was right across the street. Here are some random photos of our drive from the Airport to the hotel

So we stayed one night at the IC Dublin, it was a 4 Seasons before changing to an IC, not too sure if the rooms have been refurbished but our room was very purple, I wonder if Prince stayed in this room

So we walked to the hotel, this photo was taken about 30 yards from the bus stop, so it's a very walk. When we got to the reception area to check in I was told our room isn't ready and wont be for a few hours. The day before I received a email from Reservations sale agent asking me what time I'll be arriving, in the email I told them we would be at the hotel about 1030am, and we did, the desk agent tried to up sell me to a suite, I declined, a manager came over, I explained about the issue, the manager, gave us the suite and said enjoy.

Again, Prince must have had a hand in decorating this room

Once we settled in, we both decided to take a nap, we were to meet some of my hubby ex co-workers later. Hubby worked for Amex (computer side) and while working there Amex brought over many UK personnel, and Hubby volunteer to help them settle in the US. He helped 7 families, and have stayed in contact with them all, some have returned to the UK and some have stayed in the US.We were to meet Cliff and Diane, I have never meet these people only via FB and will be staying with them at there house in Dongale Ireland. After we woke up from our nap, I found my welcome fruit plate and water in the room, kinda weird that someone came in the room while we were sleeping....

We meet Cliff and Diane in the lobby and had Cream Tea and Scones.

Have to say it was very good, not like the scones I have gotten here in Phoenix. It was a great way to reunite with people my Husband hasn't seen in person in over 20 years, and a great way to meet new friends. It was wonderful to sit back and chat. We then took off and headed to center city of Dublin.

I thought it was fitting to take this photo, name of the place is Thunderroad, and a picture of a Harley Davidson V-Rod on the window but a scooter is sitting outside.

To say that it was cold was understatement, we are desert dwellers and what we call a jacket did not work very well in Dublin.

So it was time for our first pint in Dublin and Cliff took us to his favorite pub in Dublin, for a couple of hookers (cliffs words)

I had a Bilmers Cider (no hookers for me)

By this time we were talking about Dinner, again, Cliff had a place picked out for us, and who is going to argue since we have no idea where to see. We hopping back into their car and off we go we ended up in Howth Ireland to a place called The Deep

It's a very small place but let me tell you, he food was outstanding...

I had the paella and it was excellent lots of seafood in it.

Open fish Pie, I was going to get this but Diane did and she told me I could try it, it was EXCELLENT...

Hubby and Cliff both got the Fish and Chips, they both stated it was excellent.

A excellent place to sit back and talk and catch up again, the food was excellent but the company made it special.

On to travel day from Dublin to Donegal Ireland.