FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TPA-IAH-SMF, all in F, zero meal service?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:37 pm
caseminole

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe

best way to know what to expect is to see what it says when booking the flight or on the flight status page, which are almost always accurate and are specific to the flight in question. The 7:19 PM flight tonight clearly lists “Light snack and beverages”, so I’m not sure anyone reading that could be confused on what to expect.

this.

In what maybe was the first or second major meal service change in F after the merger, there was a thread that specified mileage while the meal service page talked about “approx.” times. I’ve always believed the real delineator is the mileage, with the times being a stand in because it’s easier for folks to understand.

I then remember a thread where there was someone doing IAH-SDF expecting dinner, but only got snacks, while IAH-CVG does get dinner. The gate to gate times are similar - maybe 10 minutes difference. But I believe the real differentiator is the mileage - with the cutoff at 800. And then it makes complete sense - IAH-SDF is just under 800 - I think 788 - whereas CVG is 871.
Everyone is missing the point. Yes, the 7:19 flight itself lists "Light snack and beverages" as meal options in F, yet in the area where United is discussing food amenities in the In-Flight Dining area, it clearly states for flights with a duration of "2 hrs. 20 min. to 2 hrs. 59 min.", departing in the range "4 p.m. to 8 p.m", the catering in F is "A full meal service with two entree choices"

I’m not sure anyone reading that could be confused on what to expect, except if they look at the specific flight in question. Isnt that what the "in flight dining" page is supposed to be for then?

By this logic, why even have an "in flight dining" page if you have to re-check for your particular flight anyways?