FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:45 am
MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by SamirD
This is a good point as it's actually going to be a problem if people know they can get a free drink by moving to MCE--especially the alcoholics out there.

In this respect I have seen that United is much more on point. The stick to their rules and make sure they're applied more equally. I like both airlines and see why each have their segment of the market.
I don't think that not enforcing rules is being 'more customer friendly'. That leads to favortism and eventually corruption as people get ahead at the expense of others. If there's going to be free drinks in MCE, they need to show their boarding pass for it. Otherwise, they can move to the seat and sit, but no free drinky.
It's the proverbial you get what you pay for. Those in MCE seats either have paid for them or earned them through status. Those in BE have made a decision to forgo certain amenities in exchange for a lower fare. IMHO AA should take the last few rows, reduce the pitch and call it a separate class-BE. As it is on full flights BE often end up in MCE albeit a middle seat.