FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:16 pm
sannmann

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by iapetus
Ciao! I am trying to determine whether or not I should request credit for my original routing on travel I completed this weekend. Y'see, I am was on track to reach the 1MM mark by mid-May until ...

I was traveling home from FCO via FRA and SFO (FCO-FRA-SFO-LAX), when my FCO-FRA flight arrived late, leading me to miss my connection. After some back and forth with LH and UA, I decided to fly LH FRA-JFK (and LH upgraded me to Premium Economy, which I have to say was much nicer than I anticipated ^) and continue on EWR-LAX on UA the next day. I was credited with 1.5 PQM (5,784 miles, yes?), 1.5 PQS, $0 PQD and 0 BIS miles for the LH leg (UA credit hasn't shown up yet). My original itinerary was on a U fare. And now I am not projecting to reach the 1MM mark until mid-June unless I do something.

That matters to me because mrs. iapetus is flying with the iapetus jrs. and mother-in-law iapetus LAX-LHR two days after I would now hit the 1MM mark. And I would really like mrs. iapetus to be flying with my 1K status (I will not be with them until later in the trip). I am thinking of requesting ORC to restore my BIS miles, which I am pleased to read from this thread might be a possibility. But it would cost me 1,928 PQM (well, not quite that much, since the original routing was longer than what I actually did).

I am writing to get a little perspective from my fellow FTers. Should I request ORC just to get to 1MM by mid-May? I am a little concerned about meeting the PQM requirement for status this year (I think I'll be good on PQD to my surprise). Am I correct to be concerned about being able to confer my status on mrs. iapetus having reached the 1MM mark just two days before her flight? Is it unheard of for someone to do an MR just for the sake of hitting 1MM by a particular date? Any thoughts and perspectives would be appreciated!
I say the choice is entirely up to you. Which do you value more? Earning MM sooner or earning the additional PQMs you earned that you otherwise wouldn’t have earned. Of course, that comes at a PQD cost.