FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Enhanced ID vs Real ID vs Nondriver ID vs Nondriver ID Renew Online/Mail?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:37 am
kevinpauly

Enhanced ID vs Real ID vs Nondriver ID vs Nondriver ID Renew Online/Mail?

I have a question. Not that long ago i needed to renew my NYS non driver id because it expired. When i did this at the DMV, i brought the necessary doc to get the real id. Enhanced cost 30 dollars more and i did not need it. I have a valid passport as well. I have a family member that has to renew their nondriver id. They wanted to know if they could do it online or mail the form instead of going to the DMV. They already have a valid passport. They do not even travel much at all. From what i read online, if you do it online or my mail, it says not for federal purposes. I read this mean starting next year, you can't fly with it domestically but she doesn't fly much at all. Also read you cannot use it to get into federal building etc. But she does not do that. But can someone plain not for federal purposes meaning? So if jury duty, that would be issue if she has that? But bringing her passport would be good enough right? So would you recommend renewing a nondriver id online as oppose to going t here? Because if you go there, you won't have that not for federal purposes wording whether you get real id or nondriver id.

Thoughts? Anyone here renew online or mail have opinion on this? Its better to just go to DMV to do this right?