FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is China Eastern's customer service really this bad?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:29 pm
travelinmanS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Service? Having had the experience of China Eastern/Shanghai Airlines on the BKK-PVG route (and CA on PEK-BKK, SIN) over the past 3 years I would gladly take a US carrier any day over the the mainland big 3, and I loathe US carriers. Trying to get an alcoholic beverage on these routes is an exercise in frustration and the wine selection if available, is deplorable. Meals are often inedible. On my last J class flight only one entree of "fish" was available. My experience has been that there is only one meal type loaded on the route despite the embellished menu boasting of multiple options. The food itself is of dubious quality. And as for the lounges? Disgusting and an ongoing demonstration of poor hygiene.

Arrogance, rudeness and disdain for the customer are the norm. Some western airlines promote PEK and PVG as transit hubs in Asia. It isn't working. Once civilized people experience the inefficiency and absence of hospitality of the mainland transit experience, ICN, TPE, HND, NRT and HKG become the preferred transit points.

However, the main reason why a US carrier will ALWAYS be better than a mainland carrier, is the legal protection of the passenger. There is no recourse for a passenger on the mainland carriers, for the simple reason, they just ignore the passenger. Poor onboard service,IROP response; Lost baggage; Change in schedule with no advance notice; etc.: IMO, all the same response: Nothing. No concern, no care and no F's given. Whatever the imagined and real failings of US carriers are, there is a legal framework that applies and a right of redress available to the passenger. Foreigners cannot expect, nor are they granted similar rights when dealing with the mainland carrier when in China and in most other jurisdictions. I learnt my lesson, despite having status, and no matter the airfare savings, the dismal mainland service and quality of care isn't worth it. And BTW, having watched the "enhanced" treatment of some ethnic groups during transit, was disturbing.
I agree with you that their drink selection is lacking, but their tea selection is much better than any USA airline so I think it may be a cultural difference. I have not experienced the poor on board service, I'm always treated nicely on the mainland carriers. The main reason to avoid the mainland airlines is the possibility of sitting next to someone who doesn't believe they need to use headphones to watch their movie or play their video game. Other than that I stand by my comment that they are better than the USA carriers in both service and seating.