FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Expats working in Thailand [Split from Thailand Air Pollution problems]
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:30 pm
RustyC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by nydave11
How much can these Digital Nomads be making? Google Adwords+ some affiliate links and maybe some Youtube views = not a lot of money. I used to live in Vegas and saw the grinders using 2/1 blackjack coupons and other gimmicks to eke out what they called a living. they were happy to not have a "job" or work for someone. I never saw so many people work so hard at not working.

If you can make a living from doing what you like, more power to you. I would love to be able to see the world, post about my experiences and get paid, but I think the market is a little crowded.
Don't look now, but an election is coming up in the U.S. next year, and in the last one of those you had people MAKING UP news stories and posting to fake news sites (literally fake news) in hopes it could go viral and trigger monetization with the Google Adsense. There were a few Americans motivated by money who did this, and the Washington Post famously did the story about Macedonian teens doing it to make money. It was tried on both sides but it quickly became apparent which side was much more inclined to forward links without vetting. So expect a return in 2020 because it'll persist until the social-media and other safeguards make it stop, and I have more confidence in money-motivated Macedonians trying to find a way around guardrails than I do with Zuck.