FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can you decline an upgrade to PY when your business class upgrade doesn't clear?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:45 pm
jc94

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by YVR72
What? I didn’t think those upgrades cost anything because they put those truly on standby for PY first. No?
No. People who request an eUp to PY are first followed by people who failed to eUp into J. Some people have issues with this as it can mean non status people in Standard can get the eUp over a Comfort fate SEMM. Those who get this eUp are charged the number of required credits.

Only people who do not request an upgrade and relieve an operational upgrade - which in AC is if/when cabins are oversold almost only, do not have to pay in credits.

The issue is - and this has been posted before but I can’t recall where, once your J eUp fails and you get thrown into PY any good preferred seat disappears and you could get a poor PY seat and end up using credits for what many consider to be a bad cabin not worth credits.

I don’t know if there is any good solution here. Well, AC should approach those on the PY list before processing the eUp or have the IT competence to allow people to make the choice and process it all in a better way but ... I don’t see this happening. In the near future.