FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - traveling with 2 large dogs in cargo with ethiopian airlines
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:58 am
maruskazac

Unhappy traveling with 2 large dogs in cargo with ethiopian airlines

Hi, I will be traveling from Newark to Abidjan (Ivory Coast, Africa) at the beginning of June and I'm a little nervous for my pups, knowing that it will be their first time traveling in Cargo. I chose this airline because it's the only one offering a direct flight from the US to Abidjan.
I have the crates and bedding and water bowls and am aware of the health requirements and paperwork.
My worry is that the dogs will be in their crates for well over 10 hrs and I would like to make sure that they have water available to them. Does anyone have advice on how to make sure that they do? When the crates are carried into the Cargo compartment, is there someone to refill those bowls (will probably spill with handling of the crates?) with water? I will freeze bowls prior but even then, I'm pretty sure it will melt and spill.
Will the staff refill those bowls? can I attach a no spill water dispenser to the crates knowing that it would have to be on the outside of the crate door?
I'm extremely nervous and care a lot about their well being during the flight. I hope someone can reassure me and tell me that Ethiopian airlines handles dogs often and has people on staff who know about pets travelling alone.

Thank you...