FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:49 am
WHBM

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Well now, you are correct with regard to the Fokker. Transair was the only North American operator at the time [1976] and its F.28s did not even cross the U.S. border.
Let's nitpick ... all the final approaches to Sault Ste Marie airport, served by the F28, require approaches over US territory
34. You’ve just landed in Hong Kong aboard the only Caravelle serving HKG. What airline are you flying aboard and where did you fly in from?

Air Cambodge (Cambodia)

An excellent answer, Mr. T - and one that I also would have expected to be true. To that end, I checked out Phnom Penh along with the home airports of a couple of other known Caravelle operators, but found only one serving HKG in late summer 1972. Alas, and indeed somewhat surprisingly, that airline was not (Royal) Air Cambodge. Please, guess again!
Air Cambodge wrote off their one and only Caravelle at Phnom Penh in 1971. They got another from Air France in 1973, but in 1972 would be presumably Caravelle-less, unless they leased one in.

I think the only Caravelle operator around there at the time would be Filipinas Orient, coming in from Manila.

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 29, 2019 at 3:23 am