FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transfer miles to Virgin Atlantic or ANA
View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:06 am
nickohrn

Originally Posted by Red259
Thanks. Looking into it it seems like I can do do ORD-sapporo in J and then come back new york in F with ANA miles. I don't mind going to ORD for the departure but it seems if I book with VA I would need to buy a ticket for NY to ORD and then back (since I can't get an F flight from tokyo to NY with VA and I would also have to buy a separate ticket from tokyo to sapporo. That along with the restrictions on availability with VA compared to ANA and my understanding that F is not a huge jump up from J in terms of quality with ANA I'm thinking maybe I should just go through the ANA program. Had there been wide open availability with VA involving new york then my math would be different. If I am off in my understanding of the two programs please let me know.
If you are connecting beyond a hub that services North America directly, it is likely better to use ANA miles than VS miles. The VS redemption is very specialized where you're just looking to get from a US hub to, mostly, Tokyo and then stop there. The ANA redemption requires more miles but handles necessary connections (as you've found). I'd go with ANA in your situation.