Old Mar 27, 19, 10:40 am
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
It depends on what kind of activities you do. If you just fill your car gas tank, or buy $50 worth of grocery, no one cares. But you almost always get car'ed and ID'ed when you buy gift card. Some stores even check cards with GC just $100.
Considering manufactured spend (which is legal) looks a lot like what's usually done to cash out stolen cards (definitely illegal), it's not surprising that stores want to clamp down on it. Of course, it stems from a misunderstanding of the payment network rules, which state that only chip cards that are swiped in a non-chip capable terminal push liability on the merchant.

Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
Exactly. American people are very conservative. They won't change the paying behavior and you'll have to force them to do so. We still use pound and inches where the inventor (British) has switched over years ago. The reasons??

I just do not see the NFC, contactless or phone become mainstream anytime soon. There is no need where you can just swipe your tiny plastic and be done with it. The stores do not like those IMO.
I don't think that has anything to do with stores disliking Visa/MC payments. Surcharges aren't unheard of in Australia, for instance, despite contactless being used more than in the US.

Originally Posted by mikesyr18 View Post
Apple has an uphill battle here. It's easier to teach people to use physical contactless cards rather than contactless from a phone... The phone adds various steps (setting up the card and then using it). Ultimately, banks can just disable Apple Pay capabilities from their cards entirely, and Apple will come out as the loser.

As a seasoned contactless user, I find contactless cards easier and more practical to use. I find a lot of cashiers don't even hit the "card" button on the register until I pull one out. I'll take whichever method makes the process more seamless (and Apple Pay wouldn't be as seamless of an experience as a physical contactless card is).
Actually, I find that stores have more of an issue with contactless cards than mobile wallets. A fair number of them won't push the button on their end until you insert a physical card, while they will if they see you trying to tap a phone on the terminal.