FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Expats working in Thailand [Split from Thailand Air Pollution problems]
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:36 pm
transpac
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Sigh...

Under $20 day:
etc. etc.

Scooter visa runs:
https://www.neverendingvoyage.com/a-...urma-by-moped/

As noted, that's not how WE lived in Chiang Mai. But we met people who do.

$20/day - after reading those links I'd rather be homeless in the U.S. Can it be done? Sure, by Burmese workers, maybe. BTW, does this cover internet access for the digital nomads?

And the scooter visa runs, well, what can I say. I drive a car here a lot, and scooters are simply put, coffins on 2-wheels. We have the second-highest road fatality rate, and probably 3/4's of those are scooter related. I do drive a scooter as well, these are primarily used for short, local hops, typically of less than a few Km. I might drive Chiang Mai to Mae Sai on a bigger bike (250 cc min.), as part of a multi-day sightseeing event (other than during the burning season, and rainy season of course), but on a scooter. Nope.

I particularly liked this from one you linked... https://www.neverendingvoyage.com/a-...urma-by-moped/

"It took less than an hour for us to realise that driving to Burma was a mistake."

On the plus side, the trip must be survivable as you apparently met someone who made it back alive.

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Is it still illegal to work in Thailand on a visa exemption or a tourist visa?
Yes. Very simply put, you need a proper visa and a work permit. (My guess is that some of the teachers kokonutz met in Chiang Mai did not have WPs, as it is easy for schools to get away with, at least for a semester or two. Tea money is liberally applied, as is the use of "agents".) Once your WP is finished or terminated you have 7 days to leave the country.

Migrant workers from nearby countries may have a different set-up.

And while the MFA, RTP/Imm, MoL, Revenue might have a different view, digital nomads are in a bit of a grey area as they are technically working for entities outside of Thailand. Could the authorities crack down on this? Sure, is it Tuesday?

I think the challenge for digital nomads is figuring out how to stay, legally, in the Kingdom, be it 30 days, 60 days, 90 days or more in a year. There are limited options, and those are being reduced.

Last edited by transpac; Mar 26, 2019 at 7:26 pm