FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
View Single Post
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:07 am
canyonleo

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by iahphx
The food is definitely better on Oahu. But that makes sense: more people, more locals. The food is also better value on the Big Island and Kauai (although my extensive Kauai experience is getting dated).

As far as weather goes, I had bad weather luck in January and February in Maui. Like I barely got to snorkel, and lots of rain. I assume it would have been the same elsewhere in Hawaii. I know people go to Hawaii to escape bad weather elsewhere in those months, but if it's a "once in a lifetime experience," I would avoid Maui in January and February. The weather is a bit risky. In contrast, I've had great weather luck over the years in March and April.

In general, bad weather can happen with a higher probability in November-March. It doesn't mean those are bad months, but May-September has higher probability of drier weather. Now, if one looks at a graph of historical rainfall by month, it really doesn't change much from Sept-Oct-Nov... or from Feb-Mar-Apr...

I always go in the Fall (work schedule allows, better prices, smaller crowds at airports and on island, etc.), and I've seen storms and power losses in October and a week of rain in March - it's weather and it's hit and miss like anywhere.

That said, the Wailea location of the Andaz does typically have drier weather (and no fog type overcast) than the West side especially Kapalua-north (and I'm always looking to hit Slaughterhouse-Honolua every chance I can).