FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Visiting Venice ... in July
View Single Post
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:25 pm
obscure2k
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by iapetus
To be clear about this from the outset, my initial reaction to what I am proposing to do is, simply, DON'T! However, mrs. iapetus' mom is excited about the prospect, as is mrs. iapetus now. So we will be visiting Venice for a week this summer (first week of July) with the iapetus jrs. (8 years old). We're locked in now. I've always wanted to return to Venice, as I only saw it briefly in the rain during a day trip there nearly 20 years ago, but July isn't exactly my first choice in when to do that.

So I am hoping that some of my fellow FTers can help me make the best of this. I'm interested first and foremost in locating a nice neighborhood in which to stay. I'd like something that feels relatively local and away from the bulk of the tourists, if that's possible in July. Closer to sights is better, but I am principally concerned with avoiding crowds in the immediate vicinity of wherever we stay as much as possible. Thoughts?

PS - I was kinda surprised that there is no 'Where to Stay in Venice?' thread.
In order to avoid crowds I recommend staying in the Castello or Canareggio areas. Both have nice neighborhoods and somewhat off the tourist beaten path. In Canareggio, I can recommends Hotel AI MORI D'oriente. https://www.morihotel.com The hotel is on a quiet canal and offers comfortable rooms and modern amenities, such as good air conditioning, a must in the Summertime. I have stayed there and like the hotel and area very much. My choice in Castello is Hotel Ai Cavallieri. I love this hotel and the location. It is located just off the Santa Maria Formosa square and it is a very quiet location. One will not see throngs of tourists walking by this hotel. This is where I have stayed for the past 4 years. In the interest of transparency, I now receive an upgrade due to my continuing friendship with the staff and because my husband and I return every year and will again this year. Very. convenient to great restaurants (Alle Testiere is 2 minute walk). They have suites which I am sure would accommodate your family. Modern amenities. Excellent breakfast included in rate. www.hotelaicavalieri.com

Last edited by obscure2k; Mar 25, 2019 at 12:32 pm