FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Another BAFT mini-do. Gibraltar, Saturday 23 March 2019
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:08 pm
madfish

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Review of the BAFT 'Mini' do to GIB

Well, that was certainly an adventure. What started out as a quiet weekend away for @KARFA was soon overrun with some 75 other FTers who never knew they had such a burning desire to visit the rocky outcrop.

I won't go into all the details, but there were some early adventures who made good their escape on Friday and were there to great those arriving on the early Saturday flight.The early flight seemed to go off without too many difficulties (despite some having a late night in the HGI the night before) and it seems that the intrepid explorers were able to make their way from the various T3 lounges to the aircraft. Those on the later flight, including a select group who had traveled down on the early morning MAN departure were soon exploring the lounges with many going from CX,to QF and then BA.

I can't comment too much on the specifics of the early flight, or for the experience in CE, as I was doing penitence in ET. However, the group one queue for the 490 was impressive and we were boarded more or less on time for scheduled departure. However, somebody was missing. The Captain. Apparently our original one had had a mishap with a carving knife. Perhaps he knew something we didn't. A replacement was soon on board and it was announced that we needed de-iceing. Apparently the previous flight had come from that well known cold place known as BCN. Anyway, we didn't appear to be de-iced (unless they did something whilst we were at the gate?) and we were able to pushback, eventually being airborne around an hour late.

Service in ET was somewhat lacking. It seemed to take quite a while and the cabin crew (2) didn't seem the most organised or friendly of pairs. Apparently they were better down the front. As we approach GIB we were placed in a hold. Interesting to have to hold for an airport that had only 4 scheduled inbound flights that day. After a couple of circuits we made our first approach. It was clearly very bumpy and it was clear to those on board that we were going to abort the landing. A second approach was made but again this was aborted and we were on out way to AGP. The diversionary flight was also quiet bumpy. Although we did get an announcement from the flightdeck, I was surprised that the CSM didn't mention anything at all. Landing at a bus gate a AGP, the arrangements were shambolic. Nobody knew what to do or where to go. It did feel a little like we had been abandoned. Eventually we made our way to GIB via buses (or a small number who had made their own way.)

Once through the border we made our way to various restaurants and hotels, and subsequent bars. I can confirm that some shots were purchased, as well as a virtually full pint glass of wine! GIB is very cheap for alcohol. Some of the group did continue to enjoy the hospitality until late, and I suspect only made it to bed shortly before others were getting up for the day.

It soon became clear that there were going to be issues with the return BA493 (dep 1515) as it returned to gate after lining up to take off from LHR. A replacement was summoned, and it eventually left over 3 hours late. Indeed the later 490 left before it and had even turned around in GIB before the early flight had arrived. What was meant to be a 1515 departure eventually turned into being airborne at 1853. Service in ET was much better. GIB airport is a really nice, friendly place. It some size for an airport that has so few flights. The lounge was pleasant but the experience was let down by the derisory duty of care offered by BA. A meagre £5 voucher for those in ET.

Where AGP was a disaster, a word of praise for BA for those missing connecting flights at LHR. Vouchers and information was handed out on arrival and this provided clear advice and instructions to those impacted. Although I declined the offered hotel and arranged something with BA which would allow easier access in the morning to my new flight back to MAN.

All in all it was a good trip. Lots of friendships were rekindled and many more new ones established. Sorry if i didn't speak to you (you dodged a bullet there!)

Until the next one (and there will be a next one!) thanks to all those who attended, and I hope you all enjoyed. For those who didn't attend, you will need to make sure you are there for the next one!!!