FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why is there such as disconnect between PL and Polaris in-flight?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:45 am
phkc070408

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Artpen100
As long as UA is willing to compete on cost, they can get away with sub-par soft product.
Cost - I'm assuming you mean the cost of a ticket.

While many people have their ticket paid by a 3rd party when flying in J, some of us (including myself) don't have that luxury. Being a middle-class one-income family with 2 kids, we consider ourselves lucky that we can afford to fly in J when we travel long haul once every 1 or 2 years (without the kiddos). That said, I'll definitely take the sub-par food and beverage service if it keeps prices in the range that we can afford to fly in J and enjoy the comfort.

Thinking about this from a business perspective, I can't see how UA finds it more profitable to sell tickets for between $500.00 and $1,000.00 less (rough numbers) when they are saving maybe $25.00 to $50.00 per head on food costs. ** I'm assuming that airlines with a superior product charge more, no factual basis ** Unlike Y customers, J customers are not very price sensitive.