FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation
Old Mar 25, 19, 1:55 am
pete.th

Al Maha claims they're overbooked and want to cancel my reservation

Hi folks,

Would appreciate some advice here on what at the very least seems like an iffy situation. I booked three separate 1-night bookings at Al Maha using points advance for 29 Dec, 30 Dec, and 31 Dec 2019. One of the dates have already been paid with points. Two other dates are on points advance. I just received the following email from the GM requesting to cancel my booking:

------------

Dear Mr. XXX,

We are contacting you regarding your reservation at Al Maha, A Luxury Collection Desert Resort and Spa, Dubai beginning 29 December 2019 for 3 nights.

Due to a system error, the hotel is unfortunately over-booked on all the nights of your booking. As your reservation is one that has been impacted by this error, we would like to assist you with adjusting your reservation.

We are happy to secure a room at a comparable Marriott hotel for the same rate. If you need to cancel the reservation altogether, we are happy to assist with this as well. Please contact us by 31 March 2019 to let us know how you would like to adjust your reservation. If we do not hear from you by then we will be canceling your reservations below.<Res. No.>
<Guest name>
29-Dec-19
30-Dec-19
<Res. No.>
<Guest name>
31-Dec-19
01-Jan-20

We greatly appreciate your understanding and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. May I please ask you to provide me with a telephone number? I will appreciate the opportunity to discuss this matter with you.

We look forward to hearing from you.

------------------

I understand overbookings do happen, and I've already requested to know why my room was requested to be canceled. I suspect it might have something to do with these reservations being points bookings. Any advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated.

Also, what are my rights according to the T&C? The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee should come into affect in this case? Not sure about the points advance ones, but the one where I already paid with my points should have some ground for compensation I believe...