FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Amex "First Checked Bag Free" Consolidated Thread
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:32 pm
mnbp

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by 808traveler
Have the AA Citi biz plat and AA gave me free checked bags from HNL to MEX on an award trip, without me needing to use the card to pay the award taxes.

Quick question, does anyone know if you really need to pay for your DL flight with a DL Amex card to get the free checked bag benefit?

According to the blogs I've read, only UA requires you to use their cobranded card when making the reservation so as to receive the free checked bag benefit, but looking at DL's T&Cs for their benefit, it looks like DL also requires you to use the card when booking the reservation so as to receive the benefit. Link here: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-bag-free.html
Nope. The Amex DL benefit flows based on the DL FF# on the reservation. DL Amex tied to DL FF#, any reservation using that DL FF# gets the "first bag free" benefit. Makes zero difference how the reservation is paid for - cash, credit card, miles, bitcoin, rocks, tulips, whatever - the "first bag free" benefit only depends on the DL FF# on the reservation and not on the form of payment.