FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Attaining AS Elite Status with Hainan Airlines?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:55 pm
lsquare
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Without status you could attain MVPG and 88K redeemable miles in one Itinerary with BA First from the west coast to JNB/CPT. For the last two autumns, BA has offered an LAX-LHR-JNB/CPT return in F for $6.5K. If you did that in January 2020 you would attain and maintain MVPG through December 2021; almost two years. To boot, you would have enough RDM for a North America to Australia, Middle East, Africa F award on CX or a North America to India (DEL) F award on JL.

Spread over almost two years your average is ~$3.25K per year.

If you made a vacation out of it (highly recommended CPT, I will be there in 3 weeks) and your outbound posted before your return you would be MVP and receive an additional 50% of base miles as an Elite Bonus and upon return your RDM would be 112K; more than enough for a Return J on CX to Asia.

James in Phoenix
Thank you so much for the tip.

That's a bit too far in advance for me to plan at the moment, but I what happen if I only have time to do that LAX-CPT trip for one week in December 2019? How long will I have MVPG for?

I see the fares available as of now. It's roughly US$6.5k for LAX-CPT round-trip, but BA's website said the booking class is A. I'm assuming that's discounted first class fare. Will that still be enough to get me MVPG?

Are there any cheap business class fares that will do the trick too or your first class bare with BA represent the easiest and cheapest overall way to attain MVPG? I'm glad I created this thread now. I'll continue to credit my flights to OZ for the rest of this year and try to fly *A as much as possible. I haven't been to South Africa before and that's definitely on my list of places to go to!