FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AAdvantage MileSAAver: Through Award Fare Restriction Dec 2018
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:17 am
JonNYC
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by bruinfan90
If it were two sides of the same coin as some of you claim, then we would have never seen married segment award availability in American's system prior to 2018. We did.

What American did when they expanded married segment availability last year is they appear to have also restricted availability for all connecting travel on AA metal only to married segment availability Hence, what was told to me by agents on the phone, "A Through Award Fare must exist to allow award seats on two separate nonstop flights to be combined into a single MileSAAver award ticket."

Here is my point:

1.) Married Segments existed in the American award availability system long before 2018.
2.) American vastly expanded the use of Married Segment award availability in 2018.
3.) The restriction that prevents two nonstop award seats from being combined into a single valid award ticket was also newly introduced in 2018.
4.) American did not have to implement #3 when they expanded #2 . They chose to do so, quietly devaluing the program in an effort to further protect their cash ticket sales.

Your initial claim was very different, you're only confirming what (most) people have been trying to tell you the whole time-- seeding confusion the whole time.

Again, your initial claim was erroneous (and based on a confusing Agent comment) and now you seem to be realizing that.

Not everyone here makes sure they know their facts before entering into a prolonged debate (and will tirelessly, pedantically, forcefully split hairs *interminably*,) but my record there is beyond reproach, so just take my word for it.

My work being done on this one, I exit gracefully.