FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changing a "Basic" ticket to an "Optimal" one
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:53 am
xjk1

Programs: BAEC Bronze; LoungeKey
Changing a "Basic" ticket to an "Optimal" one

Hi,

I've got an upcoming flight from Madrid to London, marketed by IB (with IB flight numbers) and operated by Iberia Express (which I understand will earn me BA tier points).

Incidentally, I'll be 10 TPs off of status (with BA), and as such was wondering whether it would be possible to change a Basic ticket, which I understand will earn 5 TPs, to an Optimal one, which I understand will earn me 10, and thus let me get the necessary 10 tier points for status.

I should also note that there has been a 10-minute schedule change. If it is not possible to normally do this, would it be possible to cancel the ticket on the grounds of the schedule change and then re-book the Optimal fare?

Alternatively, could I use the schedule change to, for example, re-route to Heathrow? And would doing so re-ticket me with whatever fare basis is currently being sold by IB (which, according to ITA matrix is a fare basis that earns 10TP with BA)?

Many thanks.