FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott's Customer Service : General Discussion Thread
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:07 pm
jaejaez

Got myself a new Marriott credit card, for which the issuing bank made a mistake in creating a BRAND NEW Bonvoy account for me instead of linking it to my existing one. Called the bank, who profoundly apologized, and suggested that instead of re-creating and re-sending me a new credit card (which they can do), I could call Bonvoy customer service and ask them to simply "merge" the newly created account with my existing account - that it should be a quick and easy job for them to do. This way, I can go ahead and use the card they issued without having to wait for a new one.

I agreed to what I thought made sense, and what sounded like a easy enough thing to do.

And then the fun began. Call got routed to Ireland to a lady with a thick Russian-like accent who had trouble understanding what I was saying. She then scolded me for not enunciating my words properly saying that's why she cannot understand me. Finally get the message through to her about what I need done, to which she simply repeats that it's the bank's fault so I need to deal with them. Debate, argue, convince, explain for what felt like eternity. She finally says she'll go check with the supervisor. Five mins later she returns to say that she will merge the account for me "this time" but that next time I shouldn't ask for Bonvoy to fix problems that banks have created.........

As a finale to all this fun, instead of merging the accounts like she said she would, she simply got me to write down a web address that I could log into to do it myself. I insisted on her doing it for me to which she said her system wouldn't allow her. So hung up, tried logging onto the site, but the link was broken (she had given me a wrong address). Proceed to googling the site myself based on what she had said to find the correct address, and got the job done.

So yes, a happy ending after all, but sheesh what an unheard-of nightmare of a 'customer service'!