FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Disaster - missed flight. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:58 pm
Weez

Programs: BA gold UA MM
Disaster - missed flight. Any suggestions?

I was meant to be flying from CPH-SYD via DOH last night. Biz class flight (R class so restricted). Despite allowing 6+ hours for the connection from London (and figuring in that if I missed 1 flight I could get 2 others and still get there) I hadn’t figured on a squeaky nose wheel which meant we got out to the taxi way then returned to stand. They got the engineers in, lubricated the wheel and we tried again. Unfortunately it was still sqeaky so the pilot said we weren’t flying. This however took a lot of time (5 hours) which meant we had missed the check in time at CPH so decided not to bother getting on to the new flight when it eventually left (5 1/2 hours late).

So i tried to persuade Qatar in London to let me buy a single to DOH to pick up the rest of the flight but as expected they cancelled the flight as I was a no show ( well there were 3 of us).

So now I have a non refundable non changeable ticket. I thought that this would be covered by my travel insurance which is meant to cover missing an international departure in this scenario but also as expected on contacting the insurance company they have declined it ( I will appeal).

Any suggestions? Do I just absorb the loss? I don’t need to be told I should have gone the day before- I already accept that but have flown via CPH more than 5 times now and never had this issue. I know I’ll get the tax back but I think that’s all.